Friday, April 25, 2008

Things are coming around

Good ride today - the Atlantic Highlands route again. Today I averaged 1.5 mph faster than last time, and was much less thrashed when I got back home. Except for a twinge in my knee, and a bit of neck/shoulder soreness (from holding up my gigantic melon head), a great ride, and definitely got to see some progress.

I have a couple big rides coming up - the Tour de Lake Hopatcong, this Sunday, and then the 3 State, 3 Mountain challenge; both of which are rides which feature challenging climbs. To deal with this more easily, I put a 12-27 cassette on. I never got all the way down to the 27, but I did get to the 24 a couple times. It's remarkable how much of a difference that one tooth makes. I do definitely prefer the 11-23 for around here (probably will more and more as I continue to lose weight), and I'm sure I'll go right back to it after these rides, but it's the right move for these two rides coming up. I almost wish I could switch to a compact crankset for it. Can't though, and really, I should be able to get over anything short of the Dolomites with a 39 - 27.

I feel I've really hit a tipping point with the training I've been doing - I can go longer, harder, and feel much fresher when I get back home. The first time I did the Atlantic Highlands ride really seems to have been the catalyst for that, too. I'm definitely climbing better...I can jump out of the saddle and dance on the pedals now...at least as much as a fat guy can dance on pedals. Overall, I'm really happy with where I'm at right this minute. I haven't been as disciplined as I want to be with my diet, or hit the abs as much as I want, but everything outside of that is going the way I want it to. Hopefully, some good rides this week, starting Sunday (I'm doing a very light recovery ride tomorrow - just an easy spin), and I'll really be motivated and psyched to continue getting leaner, stronger, faster all through the rest of the season.

That's it for now, hooligans. Get the hell off my porch. ;-)

No comments: