Monday, March 3, 2008

RIP Jeff Healey

I wasn't the biggest fan of Jeff Healeys music. It wasn't because of his songwriting, rather the genre always came off as a little limited to me, whether it was Healey, Stevie Ray, Clapton, or BB King. But Healey was a hell of a player.

Blind. Self-taught. Astonishing in its own right. But he was actually really good, and deserved whatever fame he had found; he was no gimmick. More importantly, he was something that I strive for - capable. Capable of overcoming, to an extent that makes me feel ashamed for every time I whinged about not making an effort, for whatever stupid reason. Too cold to go for a bike ride. Too tired to practice. Man, what bullshit. Jeff Healey is...was...an inspiration, and I'm sorry he's gone. I just read his last three albums were jazz, instead of the blues-rock I had known him for. I'll have to check some of it out.

You've earned your peace, Jeff. Rest well.

No comments: