Friday, June 1, 2007

New shoes

Normally, this would make me happy. I love shoes, and I ain't afraid to admit it. Bike shoes, no less, which I love even more. But...I bought a pair of Sidi Genius', which are really nice shoes. Unfortunately, I have gigantic feet, so the shop had to order them. Size 49 (euro sizing, obviously), Mega, which denotes wider than their usual shoe. I tried the 48 regular, but my toes were touching the front, and it was definitely somewhat narrow. So, the new shoes arrive, I go try them on, and they seem to fit. Maybe slightly wide, but I can tighten them up pretty good. So, I have Cliff (owner of Bike Haven, my favorite local bike shop) throw some cleats on it, and I'm off. Now, for some reason, I don't get to try them out on my bike right away - some bad weather, some mechanical difficulty (broken spoke). Got them almost two weeks ago, tried them for the first time today. And they're too big. Not way too big, I can cinch them up so my feet are solid in them, but still...just slightly too big.

Fuck.

Weird thing is, they still feel better than my other pair, a pair of Pearl Izumis. I'll probably keep 'em; as much because I would feel like I was taking advantage of Cliff, whose been really, really good to me, as anything else. And they do feel pretty good.

Moral of the story - go to Bike Haven. They're that good. Cliff would take them back in a second, I've no doubt. But I don't want to be a dick. And fuck, I can afford it.

edit: Fuck that. I gotta exchange them. I don't want to throw away $225. I'll figure out a way to make it up to Cliff.

No comments: