Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Exercise is good

My legs feel freakin great right now, my heartrate recovery time is way faster than it was even a week ago, and the extra fat is slowly but surely melting away.

What a big difference a high cadence makes. I've been focusing my efforts on keeping my cadence around 90 rpm, which is forcing me to be in a lower gear, which is making the hills far, far easier on my knees. And my knees, especially the right one, need all the help they can get. It's not easy...I'm sure I'll get used to the aerobic effort involved in the faster spin, but right now I'm quickly out of breath, and generally end my rides with an average cadence in the mid 70s. That's ok. You gotta walk before you can run. Maybe after the tendons toughen up, I'll be able to mash the bigger gears going up hills, but for now, the higher cadence is definitely the way to go.

Shit...Lance spun at about 105. I don't have that kind of aerobic capacity right now. Not that all the fat on my legs helps that any...I can't even picture how much more fun cycling will be when I get back under 200 lbs. I can't fucking wait.

No comments: